Re: NonGNU ELPA: Conditions for accepting a potential new package 'rmsbo

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: NonGNU ELPA: Conditions for accepting a potential new package 'rmsbolt' ?
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 12:49:51 -0500

>> I haven't looked at the code but I'll point out that
>> `convert-standard-filename` is meant to *define* the name of a "standard"
>> file, so its argument is usually very static.
>> It doesn't make sense to apply it to something like `buffer-file-name`
>> which is already supposed to be a valid filename.
>
> In that case I must have misunderstood something, my intention was to
> find a function that would convert file names with forwards slashes to
> the proper file delimiters on the current system.

No, `convert-standard-filename` is useful when you got some string from
somewhere and you'd like to generate a valid file name from that.
Usually the string is an almost constant like "~/.emacs" and the purpose
is to deal with quirks like when file names can't start with a dot or can't
include a colon.

I can't help much more on if/when/how to convert an internal filename
into one that works in a win32 shell, 'cause I have no experience with
that.  AFAICT most ELisp code doesn't do anything special for that
(whereas they sometimes do such things for Tramp purposes), so I'd
naively expect that it "just works".

>> Also I think `shell-quote-argument` should be applied to most parts of
>> `rmsbolt--demangle-command`.  This function is also odd in that it
>> calls `rmsbolt--convert-file-name-to-system-type` on the files
>> of the demangler but not those of the `mv`.
>
> IIUC shell-quote-argument cannot be used,

Of course it can.  You can't just replace the #'identity with
#'shell-quote-argument, indeed, but still `shell-quote-argument` should
be used on *most* parts that appear in the function.

        Stefan