Re: Incorporate package macrostep into Emacs core

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Incorporate package macrostep into Emacs core
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 14:48:09 +0200

> From: Jeremy Bryant <jb@jeremybryant.net>
> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,  j.j.oddie@gmail.com,
>   stefan@marxist.se,  stefankangas@gmail.com,  jonas@bernoul.li
> Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 21:48:08 +0000
>
> Manual?
> Should the documentation for macrostep be included in the Emacs Lisp
> manual section Macros?

Yes, I think so.

Please also provide a suitable entry for NEWS.

> Code?
> The main file is attached for convenience, from the orphanage upstream
> (https://github.com/emacsorphanage/macrostep).
> Are any changes needed before this is merged into Emacs?
> I volunteer to write some code towards this, please let me know.

Please add :version tags to all the defcustom's and defface's.

> (define-obsolete-variable-alias 'macrostep-mode-keymap 'macrostep-mode-map
> "2023")
> (define-obsolete-variable-alias 'macrostep-keymap 'macrostep-mode-map "2022")

The years there should be changed to Emacs versions, I think.

> (defvar macrostep-mode-map
>   (let ((map (make-sparse-keymap)))
>     (define-key map (kbd "RET") #'macrostep-expand)
>     (define-key map "=" #'macrostep-expand)
>     (define-key map "e" #'macrostep-expand)

Bonus points for converting this into defvar-keymap.

> ;; Local Variables:
> ;; indent-tabs-mode: nil
> ;; End:

I think this should be deleted, as this is now the default in ELisp
buffers.