emacs-erc

Re: Add compat to ERC

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Add compat to ERC
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 10:05:17 +0000

"J.P." <jp@neverwas.me> writes:

> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>
>>> Well, tested it in the lazy/naive sense of
>>>
>>> 1. connected to various servers in the manner shown above
>>
>> Using what version of Emacs?
>
> 27, 28, and master. Although, with the latter, compat likely wasn't in
> `load-path'. Is it better to guard against requiring it on trunk?

I am not sure I understand what you mean, but setting aside prefixed
definitions, using compat on the master branch shouldn't break anything.

>>> 2. installed a fake ELPA package and ran our test suite, which also
>>>    contains some shims for obscure stuff, like gv-place, ert, etc.
>>
>> What do you mean by fake ELPA package?
>
> I mean something installed via package.el, in this case directly from a
> directory with `package-install-file'. Doing so pulled in compat just
> fine. But if that's too unrealistic, I suppose I could add the necessary
> changes (temporarily) to a bug set I make available here:

I don't think so, the difference between `package-install-file' and
`package-install' is just the method the tarball is acquired, while what
interests us is the loading procedure.

>> I have just pushed a commit with a definition for decoded-time-period,
>> so that will be part of the next release.
>
> Terrific! Thanks. So we'll just specify that version in our
> Package-Requires header, and everything should magically work, right?

Ideally yes, I just haven't marked a new release since I had been
planning to add another change and perhaps begin Emacs 29 compatibility.
I will ping this thread as soon as a release has been made.

> As far as next steps go (assuming you don't have anything showstopping
> to add), I figure pinging the Emacs maintainers couldn't hurt, just to
> make sure they're cool with our `require'ing something from GNU ELPA in
> tree. But I'll wait to hear back from you before doing so. Thanks again.

Nothing from my end, modulo that a release has to be made.  If you want
to, I can make one right now just to add `decoded-time-period', so that
we can go ahead with discussing this with emacs-devel.

"J.P." <jp@neverwas.me> writes:

> Hi folks,
>
> Nothing to see here other than a minor heads up that I split off the
> erc-compat portion of that POC into a separate patch to serve as a
> stopgap in the interim for any Emacs 27 people wanting the ERC on trunk
> via elpa-devel (or in case ERC 5.5 is released before we can require the
> actual compat).

Good idea!