emacs-erc

Re: Add compat to ERC

From: J.P.
Subject: Re: Add compat to ERC
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 06:36:49 -0700

> "J.P." <jp@neverwas.me> writes:
>
>> 27, 28, and master. Although, with the latter, compat likely wasn't in
>> `load-path'. Is it better to guard against requiring it on trunk?
>
> I am not sure I understand what you mean, but setting aside prefixed
> definitions, using compat on the master branch shouldn't break anything.

Nice. (Should've been obvious, I guess.) Er, I did briefly entertain the
idea of someone on 29 accidentally loading something that happened to
also be called compat, but that seems rather far-fetched and likely
benign besides.

> I will ping this thread as soon as a release has been made.

Sweet!

>> As far as next steps go (assuming you don't have anything showstopping
>> to add), I figure pinging the Emacs maintainers couldn't hurt, just to
>> make sure they're cool with our `require'ing something from GNU ELPA in
>> tree. But I'll wait to hear back from you before doing so. Thanks again.
>
> Nothing from my end, modulo that a release has to be made.  If you want
> to, I can make one right now just to add `decoded-time-period', so that
> we can go ahead with discussing this with emacs-devel.

No reason to rush things on ERC's account, although I appreciate the
gesture. Whenever you're ready is totally fine. I could also just
restore that `decode-time-period' adapter in my POC patch if you're
thinking we ought to bring this to emacs-devel before the next release
cycle.