emacs-erc

Re: bug#63662: 30.0.50; ERC 5.6: Document how to connect over SOCKS

From: J.P.
Subject: Re: bug#63662: 30.0.50; ERC 5.6: Document how to connect over SOCKS
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2023 07:02:46 -0700

It sure took me long enough, but I think I finally understand what you
meant about changing the mode declared in the file. I guess I didn't
realize Emacs gracefully falls back to trying other listed major modes
(despite that being clearly explained in "(emacs) Specifying File
Variables"). So, unless anyone has a problem with my doing so, I'll go
ahead and update etc/ERC-NEWS accordingly. Thanks!

>>> So we might release it on GNU ELPA?
>>
>> You mean convert emacs-news-mode.el into a :core package? No clue about
>> that, I'm afraid. Apologies if I left you with a different impression.
>
> Yes. It wouldn't be useful not only for ERC-NEWS, but for all other
> packages providing a *-NEWS file. If they are willing to follow the
> conventions.

If emacs-news-mode.el does become another :core package, I suppose ERC,
eglot, and co. would be expected to add it to our ";; Package-Requires:"
headers? Another option might be to print a message upon failing to load
`emacs-news-view-mode' that informs people of its availability on GNU
ELPA.