emacs-erc

Re: can't do `backward-word' at end of line with certain timestamp confi

From: J.P.
Subject: Re: can't do `backward-word' at end of line with certain timestamp config
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 18:46:18 -0700

Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> writes:

>> There is another problem with timestamps, when you kill text
>> from IRC to yank someplace else, it is still included even
>> tho they are made invisible with `erc-toggle-timestamps'.

So you're saying stamps remain invisible in yanked text? If so, I think
that's a bug because a common use case is probably copying a message
from a chat buffer and yanking it at the prompt. But if the yanked text
includes an invisible stamp, users may find themselves sending unwanted
information (like duplicate stamps). Unfortunately, my cursory attempt
at reproducing this has proven unsuccessful. Can you please open a bug
report for this with recipe from -Q? TIA.

>> So I'm gonna disable them completely, but since you asked,
>> sure, I'll try what you propose anyway, 1s.
>
> When I eval that defun it says
>
>   Debugger entered--Lisp error: (invalid-function
>   (inhibit-field-text-motion (or (< (point) erc-input-marker)
>   inhibit-field-text-motion)))

I'm unable to reproduce this error. Seems to work on my machine.