emacs-erc

Re: can't do `backward-word' at end of line with certain timestamp confi

From: J.P.
Subject: Re: can't do `backward-word' at end of line with certain timestamp config
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 20:29:16 -0700

Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> writes:

> J.P. wrote:
>
>>> There is another problem with timestamps, when you kill
>>> text from IRC to yank someplace else, it is still included
>>> even tho they are made invisible with
>>> `erc-toggle-timestamps'.
>>
>> So you're saying stamps remain invisible in yanked text?
>
> I want only want timestamps in the IRC logs. Using ERC I don't
> want to see them, so I made them invisible with
> `erc-toggle-timestamp'. But they are still included (and
> appear) when I kill and yank text.

I think that's intentional. Or, at least that's the way things have
always been, AFIACT. If you want to add an option for removing stamps
when yanking, you can open a wishlist (feature) bug, ideally with a
patch attached.

Alternatively, I believe Corwin is working on a general yanking
enhancement [1], which could likely be extended to include such a
feature. Perhaps you should coordinate with him.

[1] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=43847

>> Can you please open a bug report for this with recipe from -Q?
>
> It depends, connecting to IRC with ERC is part of my
> configuration which may not be usable from -Q.

Then extract the relevant bits and massage/adapt as needed, I guess.

> How do you go from -Q to, say, #erc in a minimal way?

I suppose you can go quasi -Q, with placeholders for descriptions of
routine actions. However, it's usually possible to be somewhat explicit.
For example, instead of "connect to some network," do

  1. (erc-tls :server "testnet.ergo.chat" :nick "SomeUser")

And instead of "join a room with traffic," do

  2. (erc-cmd-JOIN "##mine")
  3. (erc-send-message "hi")
  4. ;; Repeat 1-3 from another instance with :nick "NotherUser"

Or use /slash commands if that's easier:

  2. /join ##mine RET
  3. hi RET