emacs-tangents

Re: [syl20bnr/spacemacs] Proposal to improve GPL compliance (#14444)

From: github . com
Subject: Re: [syl20bnr/spacemacs] Proposal to improve GPL compliance (#14444)
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2021 09:32:03 +0300

* dpsutton <notifications@github.com> [2021-03-01 22:36]:
> I have my own init for emacs publicly available. It, as well as this
> repo, does not contain any emacs code. Is it the position of GNU
> that emacs inits cannot hide or modify the splash screen?

I do not know what is position of GNU, as I do not represent GNU
project.

However, GNU project got notice on the mailing list about licensing of
Spacemacs and that is why I have brought the message from the Emacs
Tangents to the Github issue.

Classification of software is separate from the copyright. If the
init.el is distributed and modifies Emacs, it creates new combined
work and thus should be properly licensed. That somebody calls it
"init" is not relevant to copyrights.

Programmers and users may call and classify software as they wish.