emacs-tangents

Re: [syl20bnr/spacemacs] Proposal to improve GPL compliance (#14444)

From: github . com
Subject: Re: [syl20bnr/spacemacs] Proposal to improve GPL compliance (#14444)
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2021 23:02:02 +0300

* Tommi Komulainen <notifications@github.com> [2021-03-03 22:26]:
> > Or does @gnusupport think that merely using GNU Emacs to run Spacemacs
> > makes Spacemacs into an Emacs distribution? **Edit:** On further reading
> > https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLPlugins, maybe they do. It is
> > very confusing.

Yes, it is new work based on mainstream Emacs. It depends on Emacs and
modifies Emacs in such a way to provide new work.

That is fine and I encourage it and I like it.

Please see the GPL3 where it says:

  To "modify" a work means to copy from or adapt all or part of the work
in a fashion requiring copyright permission, other than the making of an
exact copy.  The resulting work is called a "modified version" of the
earlier work or a work "based on" the earlier work.

Spacemacs is based on the earlier work (Emacs). It combines various
parts and various software into one whole.