emacsweblogs

[Emacsweblogs] Re: weblogger.el and tags

From: Mark A. Hershberger
Subject: [Emacsweblogs] Re: weblogger.el and tags
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 21:27:26 -0400

[Ccing the emacsweblogs mailing list]

David Abrahams <address@hidden> writes:

> I select the body of the buffer, then `M-x
> my-clone-region-set-mode<RET>markdown-mode' and away I go.  The only
> problem is that unless I make changes *directly* in the weblogger-entry
> buffer (not the clone), `C-c C-c' in the weblogger-entry buffer tells me
> "nothing to post."

I have been thinking about ways to make weblogger.el work with other
modes better.  Some people prefer to type theirs up in SGML, others
nxhtml, others org, and still others (e.g. you) in markdown.

I think the way to solve this is to tie the weblogger buffer to the
“content” buffer instead of the other way around.  That way, for
example, you would start writing up your blog entry in a markdown mode
buffer and then invoke, say, weblogger-convert-and-post-buffer.

weblogger-convert-and-post-buffer would look for a buffer-local variable
(say, weblogger-conversion-function) that points to a conversion
function.  It would call this function to get HTML code suitable for
posting.

This HTML would be used for the body section of the post and you could
fill out the other fields as needed.

If you change the primary buffer, weblogger.el would be able to see that
and update the body of the post.  You'd still be able to use
weblogger.el to edit the raw html if you wish, of course.

The could be other hooks for weblogger-convert-and-post-buffer to use.
Org, for instance, allows you to set the title for a buffer and this
could be carried over to the title of the weblogger post.  Similar
things could be done for date stamps, tags, etc.

What do you think?

Mark.

--
http://hexmode.com/

Every day, mindful practice.  When the mind is disciplined, then the
Way can work for us.  Otherwise, all we do is talk of the Way; everything
is just words; and the world will know us as its one great fool.