[emms-help] Re: Poll: Remove playablep method from players?

From: Andrea Russo
Subject: [emms-help] Re: Poll: Remove playablep method from players?
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 02:54:51 +0200

Hi,

Jorgen Schaefer <address@hidden> writes:

> Idea:
>
>   We remove the `playablep' method from all players. The `start'
>   method then should do both of the jobs of `playablep' and
>   `start', by returning nil when it could not start a song, or t
>   when it could do so. Also, there'll be a new callback
>   `emms-player-failed' which will be called when the player
>   could not play the song, though it tried.

This would be nice.  But, in practice, there are players that don't
return an error when they cannot start a song.  At least this is true
for mplayer and mpg321.

> This might complicate the implementation of players. Also, it will
> complicate emms.el since it has to store the not-yet-tried
> players.

I don't see the complication the complication for the not-yet-tried
list of players.  In my understanding, the job could be carried by
emms-player-list.

Anyway, I don't know the internals of Emms, but my feeling is that
this change would not be worth the effort.

Best regards,
Andrea.