Re: [emms-help] MPD and shuffling playlists

From: Michael Olson
Subject: Re: [emms-help] MPD and shuffling playlists
Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 22:41:56 -0700

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

> While I'm quite satisfied with mpd, I think I've spotted a little bug.
> I added several albums to the playlist and shuffled the tracks using
> `emms-shuffle'.  After that, the playlist was shuffled, but mpd played
> the tracks in the original order and thus emms always showed the wrong
> track infos (and submitted wrong informations to last.fm, etc.).
>
> When I noticed it I executed `emms-player-mpd-connect' and the
> original order was restored in the emms playlist.
>
> What do I have to do to sync the emms playlist with the mpd playlist
> after modifications?  It looks like adding
> `emms-player-mpd-sync-from-emms' to some hook...

Yeah, it's a somewhat tricky problem.

I come across something similar when adding tracks to the end of the
current EMMS buffer while playing it.  The tracks only get sent to MPD
after it reaches the last track in the original MPD playlist.  Ideally
it would send commands to just add those tracks, without disturbing the
currently-playing track.  Likewise for cuts and pastes that don't
involve the current track.

But in the case of shuffle, it seems best to just stop mpd and resync
the playlist using the function you mentioned, perhaps by means of some
hook.

--
|       Michael Olson  |  FSF Associate Member #652     |
| http://mwolson.org/  |  Hobbies: Lisp, HCoop          |