Re: [emms-help] Playback / cache issue with mpv backend

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: [emms-help] Playback / cache issue with mpv backend
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2018 22:06:42 +0530

Yoni Rabkin <address@hidden> writes:

> Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

>>> absolutely
>>
>> I can work on it but I'm not so familiar with that part of the code.
>> Any cue there, Yoni?
>
> A primitive/naive solution should be relatively straightforward. For
> example modifying `define-emms-source file':
>
> (define-emms-source file (file)
>   "An EMMS source for a single file - either FILE, or queried from the
> user."
>   (interactive (list (read-file-name "Play file: "
>                                      emms-source-file-default-directory
>                                      emms-source-file-default-directory
>                                      t)))
>   (cond ((file-directory-p file)
>        (emms-source-directory file))
>       ((emms-file-playlist-p file)
>        (emms-add-playlist file))
>       (t (emms-playlist-insert-track
>           (emms-track 'file (expand-file-name file))))))
>

> ... where `emms-file-playlist-p' doesn't exist yet, but would try to
> naively detect if it is a playlist (checks extension). It would probably
> need to have unwind protection in case that the playlist file isn't
> supported by `emms-add-playlist' (checks content).
>
> After all, `define-emms-source file' already checks to see if you've
> pointed it at a directory so there is no reason not to keep on
> overloading that function until it starts doing what we mean.
>
> Does that make sense?

Totally.  Will implement as soon as possible.

> P.S. If you are OK with it, we should probably be copying the mailing
> list on this as well.

Done, I had missed that I only replied to you after you've sent me an
e-mail offlist.  To avoid this in the future, I think it's good practice
to always keep all recipients within an e-mail threads and to send
offlist e-mails separately.

--
Pierre Neidhardt