epsilon-devel

Re: Jitter: new stack primitive (or micro-primitive): quake

From: Luca Saiu
Subject: Re: Jitter: new stack primitive (or micro-primitive): quake
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2019 17:04:31 +0100

Hello José.

On 2019-11-28 at 14:24 +0100, Jose E. Marchesi wrote:

> Yes sure, I will welcome patches in that direction.

Good.

> The rewrite rule is already working well in compiler-generated code.
> [...]

Yes, of course.  Such rules will come in handy for optimizing the
boundary between two sections of generated code: a part belonging to a
translation, to be joined with what comes from another piece generated
independently.  That kind of transformation right now can only come from
rewrite rules, and there may be opportunities to use some of the new
juggling instructions as well.

I will show you the new instruction "slide" as well.  I am not sure
whether you will like it or not.  It is very much in the style of
Jitter: very fast if used well, potentially dangerous.

It is a little more general than what I was anticipating the other day
when I wrote the message you are replying to.  The idea is removing a
few elements *below* the top element -- you tell how many, and how
deep.  It will be fast if the arguments are known at compile time.
Think of it as a generalization of nip.

All good then.

Talk to you later,

--
Luca Saiu
* My personal web site:  http://ageinghacker.net

I support everyone's freedom of mocking any opinion or belief, no
matter how deeply held, with open disrespect and the same unrelented
enthusiasm of a toddler who has just learned the word "poo".