epsilon-devel

Re: GNU poke 2.90.0 on NetBSD/x86_64

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: GNU poke 2.90.0 on NetBSD/x86_64
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 20:48:07 +0100

Jose E. Marchesi wrote:
> >   - but "poke" produces the error
> >       FATAL ERROR: could not make (wider) block for heap
>
> That seems to be caused by this in jitter/jitter-heap.c:
>
>   /* If I arrived here then the natural alignment is not enough to satisfy our
>      block alignment constraint.  We have to allocate a larger buffer. */
>   size_t allocated_size = block_size * 2 - natural_alignment;
>   char *unaligned_p;
>   if ((unaligned_p = d->make (allocated_size)) == NULL)
>     jitter_fatal ("could not make (wider) block for heap");
>
> Luca, any idea what may be going on here?  I guess
> jitter_heap_primitive_allocate_function is the NetBSD malloc?

The return value of malloc() on NetBSD/i386 and NetBSD/sparc has a
particularly small alignment (namely 4) [1]. Maybe something similar happens
on NetBSD/x86_64 ?

Bruno

[1]
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnulib.git;a=blob;f=m4/malloc-align.m4;h=11682da01ae0affd6fd381412ade5ea2b99af954;hb=HEAD#l108