fab-user

Logic on the server side Re: [Fab-user] Re: Fabric

From: Loic d'Anterroches
Subject: Logic on the server side Re: [Fab-user] Re: Fabric
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 17:39:06 +0200

Hello,

> It sounds like you understand the intent of the functionality I'm
> looking for, so let me ask you -- am I crazy? On occasion I'll find
> myself wanting to do X, where all existing implementations of a given
> program seem to only offer Y, and much of the time I find that it's
> because X isn't really the right way to approach the problem after
> all.
>
> However, being able to execute non-simple logic on remote systems
> sounds, to me, like a natural evolution of what Fabric and Capistrano
> currently offer -- i.e. going from a simple series of imperative
> commands to a setup involving logic. I recognize that such an
> evolution is nontrivial from the perspective of the underlying code,
> but I don't see any obvious failings in the desired functionality
> itself...?

It is definitely interesting to be able to have some logic on the server
side but I wonder then what is the overlap with tools like Puppet?

If you start to put a lot of logic in your fabric code, I wonder if it
means that your design could be simplified.

At the moment, I try to switch to a "rational sysadmin setup" for all my
websites which are basically a mix of everything from Django, Perl, PHP,
Cherrypy and I found that putting a clear line between what is
"configuration/setup" and what is "my code" helped me a lot and reduced
the complexity of my fabric use to push, check that all is ok, reload
the daemons, done.

loïc

--
Pluf PHP5 Framework inspired by Django