fab-user

Re: Logic on the server side Re: [Fab-user] Re: Fabric

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: Logic on the server side Re: [Fab-user] Re: Fabric
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 11:51:12 -0400

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Loic d'Anterroches
<address@hidden> wrote:

> It is definitely interesting to be able to have some logic on the server
> side but I wonder then what is the overlap with tools like Puppet?
>
> If you start to put a lot of logic in your fabric code, I wonder if it
> means that your design could be simplified.

There's definitely some overlap with Puppet; I've read up a bit on it
before now, and it looks like it might be a decent solution. However,
it also sounds like it requires a bit of investment in order to setup,
use and maintain, plus it requires an extra daemon process running on
each client (as I understand it), and it doesn't seem like it would be
a good fit for smaller, quicker custom tasks.

That's one reason why I've been trying to achieve a "Puppet-like"
usage of tools such as Cap or Fabric: to perform sysadmin tasks on
multiple systems at once, without the overhead of committing to a
Puppet infrastructure.

I recognize that what I'm trying to do isn't really "deployment",
which is why I'm trying to figure out up front if this is even the
right road to be going down :)

-Jeff