fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Re: Specify what directory should be rsynced

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Re: Specify what directory should be rsynced
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 21:51:53 -0400

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Paul Baumgart <address@hidden> wrote:
> One further argument in favor of splitting them up is that rsync()
> becomes sort of an alternative to put(). My sense is that using
> rsync_project() to upload a single file is a bit unintuitive.

I'll be honest: I was kinda thinking the same thing (re factoring the
rsync bit out to its own function). I mostly resist such changes for
right now because I want to focus on getting this new version of
Fabric out before we start thinking about ways of chopping things up
further. (But, I *do* think there's a lot of room *for* such a
chopping up, immediately afterwards...)

> I agree with your point that it's better to call the functions with
> kwargs anyway, and if that's how most folks end up using it, the order
> of parameters really doesn't matter. So, if you still disagree, I'll
> update my code to make it 'forwards compatible' in case anyone wants
> to use it in the meantime.

Well, the nice thing about the easy forking Github gives us is that
you don't really need anyone else's blessing on how to structure
things in your own version of the software (heck, how do you think I
got started with this? :D)

I think for now, leave yours as-is if you think that's the better way
to approach it, and when I start doing more reorganizing of the "non
core" functionality -- which is how I currently label the *_project
stuff -- I'll definitely be open to ideas, and I will actually be
explicitly asking for feedback at that point. Which will be soon :)

-Jeff