fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Fabric 0.9 alpha 1

From: s s
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Fabric 0.9 alpha 1
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 09:57:12 -0400

On May 1, 2009, at 9:33 AM, Jeff Forcier wrote:

The plan is to wait for some Git-friendly ticketing system that's not
locked to a third-party site, to not suck :(

That could be a long wait. As with all things, I'd say let's get something up that's better than what we have and convert when we have the better thing.

Getting other people to work on this without a bug tracking system is problematic, at best and I, for one, am ready to jump in but I don't have time to waste messing around with something someone else is already working on.

My bet is on Redmine (needs to grow better Git branch support;
experimenting with that at work so it's probably the front runner)

Something pythonic based on django would be better just due to the nature of the project, in my opinion but whatever...

ditz or pitz (when either of them gets a bit less buggy), or a new
project Christian is working on along the same lines as ditz/pitz
(hooray for open source, huh?).

dits doesn't seem to be seeing much activity (none since 8/2008), pitz is active and also Python, both plus points. Neither seems ready for general use, especially with plenty of other mature if not perfect options out there.

Anything is better than a text ToDo list.

Github has Issues, but I don't want to rely on them being up for users
to be able to submit tickets.

They can't submit tickets at all now so any improvement is infinite.

Nongnu/Savannah had an issue tracker but
their site is absolutely horrific to navigate/use.

As is everything else in that broken world. I'd say let's just let that go and not waste another brain-nanosecond on it.a

(What's that you say? Picky? Well, I never!)

Under the old "Don't let perfect get in the way of good enough" I say let's just pick something stable and working, anything, and get it tied in. When we have more hands, there will, in theory, be people to pitch in to do the conversion to a new bugtracking system. If not, then not but at least in the interim we'll have something infinitely better than what we have now which is Zero.

Unfuddle? A local trac installation (I have plenty of hosting space, I run a hosting company...)?

Anything would be better than waiting for perfect.

Just my 23.5 cents... ;-)