fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Virtualenv Use Case

From: Brett Hoerner
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Virtualenv Use Case
Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 14:00:15 -0500

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Jeff Forcier <address@hidden> wrote:
> One edge case this doesn't cover is when one of your shell commands
> modifies the shell environment itself, but I'm not sure if that
> happens often enough to merit doing a lot of switching things around
> or adding lots of complexity, though.

I'm doing a long series of commands in my deployment.  While I'm not
changing the environment itself, I'm curious as to whether the context
manager method means that fabric has to create a new SSH session for
each command?  Doing the foo && bar is handy, but I imagine it would
be a lot slower to establish a full SSH connection for each command.

Right now I'm using a pretty messy multi-line """ string with a lot of ;'s :)

My example use-case is copying a git repo to a new location so that
you can update and switch to that version (while keeping the old one
around for records / rolling back easily).  There are a lot of edge
cases where you need to clean the repo, reset the repo, then pull,
update submodules, etc... all within the context of a single directory
on the same machine.

I apologize for not reading the code to answer my curiosity.  I poked
at fab before and was quickly confused. :)

Brett