fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Virtualenv Use Case

From: Heikki Toivonen
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Virtualenv Use Case
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 10:25:22 -0700

Brett Hoerner wrote:
> I'm doing a long series of commands in my deployment.  While I'm not
> changing the environment itself, I'm curious as to whether the context
> manager method means that fabric has to create a new SSH session for
> each command?  Doing the foo && bar is handy, but I imagine it would
> be a lot slower to establish a full SSH connection for each command.

Yes, each command gets its own ssh session. Like Christian explained,
doing otherwise would cause problems trying to figure out when commands
finish and what their exit values would be.

I don't think it would make sense to build support for that in Fabric
itself, because there is another Python package that already provides
this (and more): pexpect. pexpect is more general purpose and powerful,
but fabric is easier to use.

--
  Heikki Toivonen