fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] String interpolations

From: s s
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] String interpolations
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 10:12:42 -0400

On May 13, 2009, at 9:39 AM, Jeff Forcier wrote:

2009/5/13 Niklas Lindström <address@hidden>:

But I *really* dislike the arcane syntax, especially the trailing "s".
And at least my fabric scripts uses interpolation quite often, which
makes it very noisy IMHO.

I totally agree about how current Python string interpolation is a
little on the verbose side and could be easier to use (and that the
newer format string stuff in 2.6+ looks pretty nice); but I don't
think it's *bad enough* to merit adding a decent amount of extra
complexity to Fabric. That was basically my thinking when I decided
not to reimplement it in the 0.9 rewrite, and I still maintain it's
the way to go.

If you like the 2.6 formatting syntax, why not just use 2.6?

There's no reason to duplicate this functionality in Fabric since
anyone can just use 2.6 if they like the syntax better.

Installing an updated version of Python on any system is pretty
simple so it doesn't really make any sense to duplicate
something that's already readily available.