fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] How important is making fabric parallel to everyone else

From: Jorge Vargas
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] How important is making fabric parallel to everyone else?
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 23:38:26 -0400

Jumping late on this. I'm really interested in this feature but for
another reason. And in fact I'm using fabric for something a little
different than automatic deployment. I'm writing a set of tools to
automate several annoying tasks, so rather than building one product
(like you will do on say deployment your facefront web application)
I'm building several that interject in different ways.

The problem is these servers used to be very disparate and now we are
trying to get them into the same/similar setup, just to get you a
picture we have a ton of OS packages, our internal packages, compiled
by hand, easy_installed, gems, etc. software which varies from server
to server in almost 100 boxes.

My next step will be to write some sort of "query tool" which I can
start running on all the servers to get they stats, for example how
many servers have "python25" installed and in which places and by who?
So basically what I'm looking for is more like a "fire and forget"
type of executing system that will report back on errors rather than
exit (as it happens now), perhaps the real solution will be to write
some module that will invoke fabric instead of trying to create the
"modes" approach it used to have. Something like a "fabric-running"
just like a webserver will spawn threads or processes to server
different requests of the same app.