fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Best way of making proposals for Fabric?

From: JBB
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Best way of making proposals for Fabric?
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 19:16:45 +0000 (UTC)

Rory Campbell-Lange <address@hidden> writes:

> On 03/03/11, Rory Campbell-Lange (address@hidden) wrote:
> > > Have you considered a VPN?
> >
> > VPNs can work fine. But they tend to be for an all-port solution and we
> > are talking vanilla SSH here. I'd like to have names for servers which
> > are addressed by unreadable ip address/port combinations.
>
> Sorry, that was poorly phrased. I mean I'd like a an alias or nickname
> by which to refer to otherwise rather unreadable ip address/port
> combinations.
>
> ~/.ssh/config provides an example:
>
> Host test
>       Port 4500
>       IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_test
>       HostName 216.34.181.45
>       LocalForward 5222 localhost:5222
>
> This server can be accessed by simply executing 'ssh test'.

I have a more difficult situation, but a proper, complete implementation of
ssh_config would fix it.

I deal with servers in multiple datacenters. Each datacenter has a different
host I have to ssh-tunnel through.

I've been using the ProxyCommand, with different commands for different Host
entries.

For instance,

Host californiadc-*
  ProxyCommand ssh -q californiadc nc %h %p

Host floridadc-*
  ProxyCommand ssh -q floridadc nc %h %p

Why doesn't anyone implement everything ssh does in their "replacement" ssh
library? :P Or, write a library to talk to ssh and let it do the lifting,
instead of giving me a partial-implementation?

Ruby's Net::SSH doesn't support these features in the ssh_config. Python's
Paramiko ssh library doesn't either.

Guess what, ssh supports everything ssh can do!

Sigh.