fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Problem with name resolution and env.roledefs

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Problem with name resolution and env.roledefs
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 11:00:57 -0700

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Nicolas Michel
<address@hidden> wrote:

>    env.roledefs = {
>        'host1': ['example.no-ip.org'],
>        'host2': ['172.33.29.34'],
>        # below this is a group a hosts
>        group1: ['host1', 'host2'],
>    }

Unfortunately, roles are not recursive like this at the moment, which
is why this won't work for you. I believe adding this is in the cards
somewhere (we have a lot of cards) but it's not at the top of the
list.

If you haven't already, check out the execution docs, which explain
how things currently work:

    http://docs.fabfile.org/en/1.0.1/usage/execution.html

You can get more flexibility by manually juggling env.host_string --
see the 'Connections' section of the above link for details. It's not
perfect (you lose the "automatic" connection handling of the
roles/hosts CLI options and decorators) but may help.

--
Jeff Forcier
Unix sysadmin; Python/Ruby engineer