fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Patch to add cluster support

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Patch to add cluster support
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 11:06:12 -0700

Hi Teo, apologies for the delayed reply.

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Teo Lisitza <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> I added a straight-forward feature to fabric for cluster support. Clusters
> are just like roles, except that cluster hosts intersect with roles hosts.
> state.env.roledefs will contain hosts for ALL clusters, and specifying a
> role + cluster pares down the list to only include machines in a given
> cluster.

Firstly, we do have plans to update how execution works (it's very
naive and simple right now and wasn't really intended to be so for
long term. Whoops.) -- see http://code.fabfile.org/issues/show/21 for
a bunch of bundled thoughts on the matter.

If you want to add your patch to that ticket, probably the best place
to stick it for now. While it may be superseded by a bigger
"environment" setup, your patch is still worth putting on the table at
the very least :)

Secondly, the code itself looks okay to me after a quick glance -- it
seems you pretty much just followed the lines set down by the
implementation of roles + hosts, which is acceptable given the
intended feature add.

Thanks for the submission!

Best,
Jeff