fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Using Fabric with web.py/Flask/Bottle

From: Jens Rantil
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Using Fabric with web.py/Flask/Bottle
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 17:54:48 +0100

Hi John,

Have you had a look at Rundeck (http://rundeck.org)? It sounds like it might fulfill your requirements.

Just an idea,
Jens

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 1:17 PM, John Kelly <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone on the list has any experience using Fabric with any Python web micro-frameworks, like Flask, Bottle or web.py? I've got a Fabric 'deploy' task that takes ~3 minutes to complete, and it's very verbose on the command line (by design). I would like to incorporate this into a framework so that I can present users with a form to do the deployment and allow them to see this same output from the Fabric task.

Our tools use Fabric as a library, so I got the first part working in just a couple of lines -- the form passes the correct arguments to the task, which goes off and does the deployment. Unfortunately, while this is happening, the browser remains blank and the user is left not knowing what state their deployment is in.

I've tried wrapping the deployment call in a definition and yield'ing each line of the output, but this doesn't seem to work. I'm sure I could muddle through and hack something together eventually, but I'd just thought it might be worth checking here to see if anyone had any success with this already.

Thanks!
jk