fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Using Fabric with web.py/Flask/Bottle

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Using Fabric with web.py/Flask/Bottle
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 10:11:58 -0800

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 4:17 AM, John Kelly <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got a Fabric 'deploy' task that takes ~3 minutes to complete, and it's
> very verbose on the command line (by design). I would like to incorporate
> this into a framework so that I can present users with a form to do the
> deployment and allow them to see this same output from the Fabric task.

Many companies use test/build/CI servers for this, such as Buildbot or
Jenkins. I can personally confirm that this approach works quite well:
you get a logged for posterity, typically visible in realtime,
authentication/authorization friendly, form/parameter friendly,
parallel friendly, etc etc, Web UI, for essentially free. All you
typically have to do is whip up some build job whose "execute a shell"
field says something like: "fab $PARAMS" or whatnot.

Best,
Jeff

--
Jeff Forcier