fab-user

[Fab-user] fabric.operations.run NEVER return for long running remote pr

From: Liu, Bohan
Subject: [Fab-user] fabric.operations.run NEVER return for long running remote process
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 03:44:00 +0000

Here is my case:

I have a simple bash script only does “sleep 3600” on remote host (Amazon EC2) and I am using fabric to call it via fabric.operations.run (I did NOT set any env.timeout or env.command_timeout).

If the remote bash script sleeps for 3600 seconds, fabric was NOT able to return after the bash script is done running. I printed the stack trace and it kept waiting on `channel.exits_status_ready()` (https://github.com/fabric/fabric/blob/master/fabric/operations.py LINE: 794) even if the script already returned.

This ONLY happens for long running process. I tried to make bash script sleep for 120 seconds and it worked fine.

I double checked the open connections using netstat, and the ssh session opened by fabric was still alive.

Help needed :) Any idea why this happens?

Thanks,
Bohan