Re: [Fenfire-dev] LEGO -controllers into real use

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Fenfire-dev] LEGO -controllers into real use
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 09:04:49 +0300

On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 02:43:28AM +0300, Asko Soukka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I may have been a little skeptic about, do we really ever have a real
> usage for our LEGO controllers. Now, when it has really been possible to
> try working Fenfire applitudes (FenPDF, MM), I'm encouraged to admit that
> we might truly have :)

Great to hear!

> The horizontal wheel of "the red controller" felt
> quite natural to turn MM's graph structure view. On the other hand, I was
> quite quickly frustrated to use mouse (right mouse button drag) for
> zooming and adjusting fisheye in PDF.

Indeed.

> I really would like to take the red controller home, if you don't mind.
> Although, most of it's LEGO bricks are mine (well, not any of the liftarms
> and the USB mouse). Of course, I would still give it back for demos
> (actually, I'm afraid that Tuomas takes it first, since those
> important demos are closing :).

Go right ahead - mark the components that are not yours into
Controllers/bricks.txt.

Lending things from the office is quite ok, if

1) you tell me and write it down in CVS
2) you bring it back

(BTW: did someone already ask vegai for the TAOCP volume 1?)

> Some bindings I would prefer:
>
> MM:
>       left  arm: fillet length
>         right arm: zoom (this is currently used for fillet width)
>       hor wheel: turn

Sounds good.

> FenPDF
>       left  arm: fisheye
>       right arm: zoom

>       hor wheel: next/prev element on active view

I don't understand this one. next/prev in which sense?

There's one plan I have re: this
that I haven't yet talked too much about
except with jvk.

One of the arms (or another controller) would be used to
change the layout: the extremes would be the current layout
(spatial-centric) to one where you see puzzle pieces around
the link anchors crowd near each others and the rest of the pieces
move a little further away. I'll explain in detail on monday.

        Tuomas