ff3d-users

[ff3d-users] Basic Question on Fictitious Domain method

From: Juzar Thingna
Subject: [ff3d-users] Basic Question on Fictitious Domain method
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 12:26:35 +0800

Hello Everyone,
I'm quite new to the fictitious domain method of solving PDE. I wanted to know how is this method better than the Finite element method? while doing some basic research one advantage I see is that the number of iterations for convergence in CG is quite small in complex geometries because of the pre-conditioner used. But I'm still not able to figure out how the geometry can make the matrix ill-conditioned?

Any help or basic reading would be really helpful.

Regards,
Juzar Thingna
Center for Computation Science and Engineering
National University of Singapore