flower-general

[FLOWER-general] much

From: Liz Pierce
Subject: [FLOWER-general] much
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 19:21:28 -0300

SriRao Singh Bahadur, I despise a merit that is useless!
You say to a dugpa `Bless you, and he tries touse the blessing for a stick to beat you with.
Mistakes dont matter; it is arguing about them that rots friendship. Grim folded the letters, indoubt what to do with them. Will you bet me it isnt the hermits all overAsia who pass thought-waves along? The embers were dying, but Icould see the mans eyes.
And is it my fault that the world is no oyster for afailed B.
There is a greatness, Narayan Singh said in his gruffest voice,putting his arms under my shoulders. His answering voice rang manfullyCan I undo what I have done?
Grim held the lantern in midroom, its light on the old abbotswrinkled face, the corpse in shadow.
He appeared to like the lice; he did not scratchhimself.
Unguided, we could not have found our way among those gorges fora single hour.
Soonafter that I tasted brandy in my mouth, and then there was anotherlapse into unconsciousness.
Do I not teachvirtue, day in, and day out, to a number of ingrate monks? I would have died outside in the snow rather than remain thereafter being asked to leave the place. Do I not teachvirtue, day in, and day out, to a number of ingrate monks? I asked, wondering how he had read my thoughts.
I no longerfelt cold, and though they laid me near the fire I did not feelthe heat.
Did you ever talk with a hermit who hadnt all the latest news?
I was conscious of being shaken violently and of feeling indignant. In the dim glow from the embers he had become hardly visible, buthe stood up. But therewas no doubt whatever about his liking for Grim, or about his dislikefor Narayan Singh. Theywould make a cuckold of me before my back was turned!
He fell forwardwith a groan on to the embers. Slayer, if I bless you, you will slay more!
He turned in the doorway, answering impatiently:What are they to you?
The bitter wind was whistling and moaning and the winch squeakedlike an animal in pain.
Youshall eat your own sin and be done with it. You have established claim on me enough, he said. Teach a man the laws and forces of theuniverse, and he can turn them against his teacher, cant he?
Do I not teachvirtue, day in, and day out, to a number of ingrate monks?
Youwere merely permitting yourself to die of wounds before your time.
I was conscious of being shaken violently and of feeling indignant. Youshall eat your own sin and be done with it.