[fluid-dev] Percussion Channel

From: dave
Subject: [fluid-dev] Percussion Channel
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 10:46:08 -0000

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to FluidSynth and have hit a problem with percussion.

I want to play pieces with up to 64 parallel 'strands' of music, one of which
may or may not be percussion.    FluidSynth's ability to let me have up to 64
different voices playing back on up to 64 different channels is a big
attraction.

So my plan was:
Allow 65 channels and set no 64 (counting [0...64]) to percussion.
Play strand N on channel N  (in [0-63]) unless it is percussion, in which case
play it on channel 64.

Unfortunately the strand playing on channel 9 (the traditional MIDI percussion
channel in [0,15]) plays as percussion.   So I explicitly told it not to with:

        settings = new_fluid_settings();
        fluid_settings_setint( settings, "synth.midi-channels", 65 );

        synth = new_fluid_synth( settings );
        fluid_synth_set_channel_type( synth, 64, CHANNEL_TYPE_DRUM );
        fluid_synth_set_channel_type( synth, 9, CHANNEL_TYPE_MELODIC );

        adriver         =  new_fluid_audio_driver( settings, synth );

and stuff sent to channel 9 *still* plays back as percussion.    Have I done
something wrong, or is this a bug?

Dave

David Webber
Mozart Music Software