formuleweb-general

[Formuleweb-general] pepper

From: Jasper Wiggins
Subject: [Formuleweb-general] pepper
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 00:01:31 +0200

He shrugged his fine shoulders, and on his comelyface came an _expression_ of surprised disgust. Somehow you must be off before dawn and make for Yondermouth, whereyou will be safe.
He had no mind to havehis private chamber treated as a taproom. So the second night came and I was still without hope. Iremembered the tears I had seen in her eyes, and the shadow ofterror.
He raced up thestream side, with only his ears to tell him of the pursuit. Sir Turnour drew from the pocket of his greatcoat a silver flask. From Cottle I had directions for the road, so without an hoursdelay I posted north.
Hewas bareheaded, dressed roughly in country style, and he had a penstuck behind his ear. Doubt, recognition, and doubt againwere in the baronets eyes.
A smallwhitish face, and a kind of thin gentry nose. I waited till the airwas thick with drizzle, so that a man could not see a yard, andthen ventured.
I slipped from him, staggered along theshelf till I found open ground, and then breasted the hill.
There wordreached me that the Cranmers had gone to Northumberland.
In spite of himself Sir Turnours interest wasawakened.
When he had been assisted into his boots, Sir Turnour buckled underhis coat a brace of pistols. You have chosen to idolise thislady, and you have imagined her a martyr to add to her charms.
A fantastic suspicion entered Sir Turnours mind. He laughed, butnot pleasantly; his laugh had discomfort in it, and fear, and asharp anxiety.
It wants a lang spoon to sup kale wi the Deil, he whisperedapologetically to Nanty. What friends had the lady other than myself? If yestood in his road hed thraw your neck like a hens. Then the sky clouded and the rain began more fiercely than ever. When he had been assisted into his boots, Sir Turnour buckled underhis coat a brace of pistols.
Hell never see four-scoreagain, but hes a soople body for his years. Yes, I fancied myself one, but God knows what theword means!
But the earnestness of the young mans voice impressed him in spiteof himself.
But I had notallowed for my ignorance of the ground. I had thought that I was dealing with a gentleman. He would have nothing to do with the whimsies of a romantichobbledehoy. No, my lord, I am too old and too wise to interfere in domesticbrawls. Sir Turnour had awakened to a lively interest.
Some time the morn Ive got to see Mrs Cranmer on a small matter ofbusiness.
Already I feel a new man, but an empty one. The rain had abated a little, and I could see perhaps fifty yardsaround me.