freecats-dev

Re: [Freecats-Dev] Project status

From: suzume
Subject: Re: [Freecats-Dev] Project status
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 23:53:15 +0900

I am glad to see that FreeCats is still alive :)

I would like to inform list members that another Free CAT is very much alive and kicking too, it is OmegaT, the java based open source CAT tool developed originally by Keith Godfrey and curently lead by Maxym Mykhalchuk.

The latest improvements include a better matching engine to allow work with CJK languages (the previous engine did not seem to be able to work with languages based on words not separated by spaces) work on the interface (to be seen in the next stable release) and on the internationalization of the app/doc.

I was suggesting to make OmegaT accessible directly from within OpenOffice, a la Wordfast since OmegaT supports natively the OOo file format, but the lead developper is not familiar with OOo so we'll have to wait until a person can do that. That would also allow for direct access to Microsoft files...

A soon to be released version will likely include a Aspell (or similar) based embedded spellchecker etc.

OmegaT is already being used in production environments, there are "bundles" for Windows and OSX to help translators not familiar with the Java way.

OmegaT is progressing little by little, the community is very reactive, and I am sure there are a lot of overlapping ground between the two projects.

Is there a way for FreeCats to use the already developed OmegaT code base as a way to explore new possibilities based on something already used ?

JC Helary