[Freeipmi-devel] Re: My plans

From: Albert Chu
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: My plans
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:55:41 -0800

> You can get a snapshot of untested code at
> ftp://ftp.cdclinux.com/pub/ipmi/libfreeipmi-0.0.0-19Jan04.tgz
> (for review purpose only)

I don't have a lot of time to review it right now b/c of the
power control problem on thunder, but here are some initial thoughts.

1) Why do you hide the fiid_template_t definitions inside the .c files?
 Doesn't this remove the point of having "structures" users can
manipulate themselves instead of using our helper functions??

2) Almost all the functions take a "fiid_obj_t obj_hdr" or similar
parameter, but no "obj_hdr_len" or similar parameter.  Is the buffer
length checked at any point internally in the fiid code base?  If
not, I am really against having an API like this.  I talked to others
here, and having a function that doesn't pass in a buffer length (or
hide a buffer length internally within the abstract type) is destined
for bugs and problems.

3) I am a little confused about your vision for the ipmi-lan API, could
you give me an example??

> Currently I am also merging code from freeipmi-utils package. We will
> be ready for a public pre0 release after that.

I thought the freeipmi-utils package was supposed to be a set of
temporary tools to help configure the BMCs for thunder.  Why would we
need to release them??  Isn't fish supposed to be the primary deliverable??