Re: [Freeipmi-devel] E1000 patch and other stuff

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] E1000 patch and other stuff
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:32:24 -0800

Hey AB,

Sorry, there were atleast 4 threads going on about this.  I got lost in
the mess.  We tried the comment out "e1000_suspend" fix, and it worked.
 We released an updated kernel/driver on Thunder, and Mike Miller says
he hasn't had an power control problems since the update.

Yesterday I got the chance to speak to one of the Intel guys who knows a
lot more about the e1000 driver.  He says Wake On Lan is a very funky
"state" in the e1000 NIC, and he wouldn't be surprised if the card trys
to filter everything but Wake-On-Lan Magic Packets (when the load is
high, I suppose).

In my opinion (Jim, Robin, what are your thoughts??):

halting problem - this is now Intel's problem.  They have to make a
driver fix.  Perhaps adding some "IPMI power control" flag, so they know
now to go into wake on lan mode or something.

"rmmod e1000" - this is a redhat problem, that Ben should address.

I have looked at both of these problems on and off.  But I am
concentrating on FreeIPMI now.