Re: [Freeipmi-devel] package naming

From: Anand Babu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] package naming
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 05:19:31 -0700

,----[ Ian Zimmerman <address@hidden> ]
| Al> I am going to release a freeipmi package internally at LLNL soon.
| Al> Before doing so, I'd like to confirm if the following is what we'd
| Al> like to go with.  The package names we select aren't written in
| Al> stone, but if I can avoid re-naming them later, it would make
| Al> things easier.
|
| The names are OK with me.
|
| Al> freeipmi - .so, /var/lib/freeipmi/ipckey, info docs
|
| I don't like putting the ipckey in the package.  It ought to be
| created by a postinst script, I think.
`----
I am travelling right now. Al's proposed names are OK with me too.

We may need IPCKEY file to hold extra locking info inside the file. As
of now, this dummy file helps us find a shared unique ID from the
file-path and inode info. I am OK with post-inst creation of IPCKEY
file, as long as "make install" works.

,----[ Ian Zimmerman <address@hidden> ]
| On a second thought, does it ever change?  IIRC it's just an empty
| file?  Why not put it under /usr/share, then?
`----
It may change.
For two reasons
 - Like I said above, In future, we may want to hold extra locking
 info inside the file.
 - ftok () is not the perfect approach to generate shared unique ID
 within the system. SysAdmins may need to recreate (to change inode#)
 the IPCKEY file to generate another random unique ID in case of
 conflict. Better approaches are welcome.

,----[ Ian Zimmerman <address@hidden> ]
| Also, the hacker's guide in Info format should be in -devel, but
| that's probably what you've meant.
`----
I am planning to finish a rough draft of Hackers guide before
returning to US.

We will have FAQ, Hackers Guide, Users Guide. May be this can go as
a separate -doc package.

--
Anand Babu
Free as in Freedom <www.gnu.org>