Re: [Freeipmi-devel] readline install not detected by freeIPMI

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] readline install not detected by freeIPMI
Date: 02 Nov 2004 11:58:30 -0800

Andrew> The machine is running VMWare ESX 2.0, which is based on a 2.4.9
Andrew> kernel.  Also, I'm not super-adept in Linux, though I muck
Andrew> around OK, but I'm pretty sure the steps I took were
Andrew> straightforward.  Personally, I'm curious about the path the
Andrew> compiler uses to find the readline library, as there's a
Andrew> readline library in /usr/lib and my install of readline was
Andrew> placed in /usr/local/lib.

1/ You need to install the _development_ side of readline: the header file
(should be in /usr/*/include/readline.h) and the link-time library
(/usr/*/lib/libreadline.so).  Do you have both of these?

2/ If there was an existing installation in /usr, why install another one
in /usr/local?  They _can_ conflict when used for development.

We considered exiting configure unsuccessfully in a condition such as
yours, but I thought it wouldn't actually help any, just give the error
a bit earlier in the process.  Do you agree or disagree?

Thanks, Ian