[Freeipmi-devel] Re: FreeIPMI beta w/ BMC watchdog workaround for Sun ma

From: Dave Love
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: FreeIPMI beta w/ BMC watchdog workaround for Sun machines
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 17:08:51 +0100

Frank Steiner <address@hidden> writes:

> Al Chu wrote
>
>> Hi Frank, Dave,
>>
>> I finally got around to trying to develop that workaround into BMC
>> watchdog to get around the issue on the Sun motherboards you have.  Do
>> you think you guys could try it out and make sure it works for you?
>>
>> http://ftp.gluster.com/pub/freeipmi/qa-release/freeipmi-0.8.7.ignorestateflag.tar.gz
>>
>> You have to add the '-W ignorestateflag' option to turn on the
>> workaround.  You'll have to edit /etc/sysconfig/bmc-watchdog to add the
>> workaround for Linux.  Not sure how you would do this on Solaris.

I'll try to figure it out and let you know, as the system I wanted it
working on is Solaris.

> Seems to work fine on my X4100 M2 machines :-) Starts up, reports status
> correctly, resets etc.
>
> Btw., Sun has confirmed it's a bug that the state flag does not change.
> The 2nd level support has requested a firmware update for the ILOM, but it's
> not yet clear if it will be granted.

I didn't realize anyone else was having the same issue.

I'd got as far as confirming it in the latest x4500 firmware and forgot
to report back on it, sorry.  I assume they're not going to fix the ILOM
2 that we have, and I'd rather they fixed the hardware so that I didn't
need the watchdog :-( (or a Nagios event handler currently), but maybe I
should have tried raising a call on it.

> Thanks a lot for the patch, now I can safely deploy the watchdog on all
> our servers :-)

I hope I can too!  I'll try it on our x4500 and an x4100 when I get a
chance.  Thanks in advance, as normal, Al.