Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: Patch for Fujitsu OEM Sensor Types and SEL deco

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: Patch for Fujitsu OEM Sensor Types and SEL decoding
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 15:49:09 -0700

Hey Holger,

I finally got to this patch.  I've created a branch for this:

svn co svn://svn.sv.gnu.org/freeipmi/branches/fujitsu-0-8-0

I had to re-work a few things for consistency to the other code
(subtleties I'm sure you just missed, no biggie).

Not counting the code cleanup, I did alter how you reported the Fujitsu
OEM stuff in the SEL for system event records.  From what I can tell,
this is what your code would do:

normal output

"OEM Event X ; OEM Data2 = X ; OEM Data3 = X"

your original output

"Fujitsu Long String from OEM cmd ; OEM Data2 = X ; OEM Data3 = X"

because there is no Fujitsu calls for the OEM data2 & data3.

So I altered it in two ways.

A) rather than call get-long-text for every event, fall through to only
retrieve the appropriate Fujitsu event message from the many Fujitsu
string tables you provided (e.g. ipmi_sensor_type_oem_fujitsu_i2c_bus).

B) instead, whenever event event-data2 and event-data3 are OEM specific,
call get-long-text.

So my changed output would hopefully be like this:

"Fujitsu Event String From Array ; Fujitsu Long String from OEM cmd"

In the current code committed, I've left a few comments of "Holger: XXX"
b/c there are likely Fujitsu OEM-isms that I'm unaware of and thus the
code is incorrect.  Some of the things I'm unsure about:

1) For the OEM sensor types you've reported, are they for
event-reading-type-code 0x6F only?  Or are OEM event-reading-types in
play (or only possible)?  If so, some adjustments will need to be made.

2) Could OEM extensions occur for event data2 or data3 but not both?
Currently, no Fujitsu OEM call is made for those circumstances.

Also, for what I believe will be cleaner output, I've removed the
severity string output under some circumstances.  It doesn't seem to fit
correctly into the output.  For those who want the severity output for
each event, I'm thinking of implementing a new option, something like
--output-oem-event-string.  When the user specifies this option, it will
always output the the Get-long-string, no matter what.  I know a few
other manufacturers who have similar "get SEL event string" like IPMI
OEM commands, so it would be good for future expansion too.

There's probably a lot above to grok, take your time and get back to me
whenever you can.

Thanks,

Al

P.S.  I'll have to forward port this branch into the head trunk
afterwards, but we'll deal with that later on.  Shouldn't be too
difficult, but there may be 1 or 2 things you'd like to add to take
advantage of newer features in the head branch.