Re: [Freeipmi-devel] can't read tempeature info

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] can't read tempeature info
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 11:45:45 -0700

Hi Franco,

A few additional comments/thoughts below.

On Wed, 2011-08-24 at 10:42 -0700, Albert Chu wrote:
> [...]
> 5  | Ambient Temp | Temperature | 17.00      | C     | 'OK'
> <snip>
>
> and via ipmitool
>
> # ipmitool -I free sensor list
> Temp             | na         | degrees C  | na    | na        | na        |
> na        | 85.000    | 90.000    | na
> Temp             | na         | degrees C  | na    | na        | na        |
> na        | 85.000    | 90.000    | na
> Temp             | na         | degrees C  | na    | na        | na        |
> na        | na        | na        | na
> Temp             | na         | degrees C  | na    | na        | na        |
> na        | na        | na        | na
> Ambient Temp     | 17.000     | degrees C  | ok    | na        | 3.000     |
> 8.000     | 42.000    | 47.000    | na
> <snip>
>
> So the exact same output on my system.  Lets hack them both to NOT check
> for the sensor-scanning disabled bit.
>
> (turning on --entity-sensor-names)
>
> ID | Name                             | Type                     | Reading
> | Units | Event
> 1  | Processor 1 Temp                 | Temperature              | -69.00
> | C     | 'OK'
> 2  | Processor 2 Temp                 | Temperature              | -65.00
> | C     | 'OK'
> 3  | Power Supply 1 Temp              | Temperature              | 40.00
> | C     | 'OK'
> 4  | Power Supply 2 Temp              | Temperature              | 40.00
> | C     | 'OK'
> 5  | System Board Ambient Temp        | Temperature              | 17.00
> | C     | 'OK'
>
> Temp             | -69.000    | degrees C  | ok    | na        | na        |
> na        | 85.000    | 90.000    | na
> Temp             | -65.000    | degrees C  | ok    | na        | na        |
> na        | 85.000    | 90.000    | na
> Temp             | 40.000     | degrees C  | ok    | na        | na        |
> na        | na        | na        | na
> Temp             | 40.000     | degrees C  | ok    | na        | na        |
> na        | na        | na        | na
> Ambient Temp     | 17.000     | degrees C  | ok    | na        | 3.000     |
> 8.000     | 42.000    | 47.000    | na
>
> Aha!  It seems that your version of ipmitool has been altered to act
> differently than the normal ipmitool.
>
> I can easily put in a workaround flag (e.g. -W ignorescanningbit or
> something) to deal with this for Dell motherboards.  However, before
> doing that there is an additional question to be answered.  Are the
> temperatures of -69, -65, 40 & 40 correct or incorrect??  At the
> minimum, the temperatures of -69 & -65 seem highly incorrect for
> processor temperatures (but as Andy said earlier, it's possible they are
> margin sensors, but nothing indicates that).
>
> I am wondering, does Dell supply any software that you might be able to
> try out to see what "Dell approved" readings are?  That way we know what

I just noticed something.  On the right side of the ipmitool output,
you'll notice 85.0C and 95.0C are the critical/non-recoverable
temperatures.  So it suggests to me that these sensors are in fact not
margin sensors and shouldn't be negative.

I messed around some some of the sensor data repository (SDR) records,
and noticed that the 'B' component of the record was -128 (if you run
ipmi-sensors -vv -s 1, you'll see what I'm talking about).  -128 is
quite odd (not seen on other motherboards I had), so I did a hack to
change it to 0.  And I got:

ID | Name                             | Type                     | Reading    |
Units | Event
1  | Processor 1 Temp                 | Temperature              | 59.00      |
C     | 'OK'
2  | Processor 2 Temp                 | Temperature              | 64.00      |
C     | 'OK'
3  | Power Supply 1 Temp              | Temperature              | 168.00     |
C     | 'OK'
4  | Power Supply 2 Temp              | Temperature              | 168.00     |
C     | 'OK'
5  | System Board Ambient Temp        | Temperature              | 146.00     |
C     | 'OK'

So the first 2 temperatures look far more reasonable, but naturally the
adjustment affected the later 3.

I googled around a little bit and it seems many have noticed the
negative temperatures.  Overall, the feeling seems to be that these
sensors are not correct.  Given that these sensors are marked
"disabled", I am inclined to believe that these temperature sensors are
in fact invalid and therefore should not be output.  That or Dell has a
mistake in their firmware that has gone unnoticed for some time.

I'll let others chime in with their thoughts, I could be wrong, and I'll
see if I should add a workaround.

Al