Re: [Freeipmi-devel] ipmi configuration security best practices

From: dan farmer
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] ipmi configuration security best practices
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 06:48:43 -0800

On Feb 20, 2013, at 4:31 AM, Ales Ledvinka <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Seeing how this mail thread is interleaved on freeipmi and ipmitool
> list. I am wondering a little bit why the openipmi-developer was left out.

Believe me it wasn't a slight, I simply didn't have enough hubris to spam every
ipmi
list in existence ;)  I was working with ipmitool and freeipmi on my work,
hence my
posts to those two; I thought of cross-posting but that seemed crass.  In my
ipmi
security paper (http://fish2.com/ipmi) I do mention and openipmi and ipmiutil
as fine resources as well.  I'd welcome any feedback or participation from
anyone.

> Correct that the rest delivered with BMC is not IPMI related.
> Head right to the DMTF.org for the rest of the management stack standards.
> SMASH CLP through either ssh or telnet. WS-MAN through CIMMOM like sfcbd.
> And to OEMs for particular implementation details.

They are IPMI related, just not part of the spec.  And I discuss all this in
more
detail in my IPMI paper.

dan