Re: [Freeipmi-users] SUNBMC failure

From: Al Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] SUNBMC failure
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 13:12:09 -0700

Hey Dave,

On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 12:52 -0700, Dave Love wrote:
> Al Chu <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > GPL and the CDDL (the Sun license) have incompatibilities with each
> > other (see http://*www.*gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html), which is why
> > I did it this way.  However, it appears the incompatibilities may exist
> > only w/ linking and not with code.  So presumably I could copy the code
> > in.  But I'm not sure.  I've been trying to figure this out, but as you
> > can expect, licenses are hard to understand :-)  I'll ask around, see if
> > I can tweak this or not.
>
> Sure if it was CDDL code, you couldn't distribute it to combine with
> GPL'ed code unless the copyright holders on all the GPL code allowed an
> exception.  However, as I understand it, a header with no code isn't a
> problem.  Anyway, what I pointed to is BSD-ish, not CDDL, which is why I
> think there's no problem -- you'd just need to add the copyright notice
> at most.  That version is trivially different to the one in OpenSolaris.

Ahh!  That was a subtlety I missed before.  There is the bmc_intf.h from
OpenSolaris and the bmc_intf.h from ipmitool.  I had always assumed
ipmitool copied it from OpenSolaris and thus both were CDDL.  But that
is not the case.  Ipmitool's bmc_intf.h appears to be "forked" from an
earlier version, so I could freely use that version.

Thanks for the catch.  I'll look into it a bit more deeply.  Assuming no
snags, I can copy that file in.  I'll make a beta, and if you have the
chance, could you try out the beta for me?

Al