[Freeipmi-users] Dell PowerEdge 2970 temperature sensors

From: Mike Hlavac
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] Dell PowerEdge 2970 temperature sensors
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 15:52:18 +0000

In implementing some monitoring at our datacenter, I noticed that most of the
thermal sensors do not report for our Dell PowerEdge 2970 systems.  Here's the
output of ipmi-sensors (v1.0.5):

ID  | Name             | Type                     | Reading    | Units | Event
1   | Temp             | Temperature              | N/A        | C     | N/A
2   | Temp             | Temperature              | N/A        | C     | N/A
3   | Temp             | Temperature              | N/A        | C     | N/A
4   | Temp             | Temperature              | N/A        | C     | N/A
5   | Ambient Temp     | Temperature              | 15.00      | C     | 'OK'
6   | CMOS Battery     | Battery                  | N/A        | N/A   | 'OK'

On the same system, here is the output of ipmitool sdr list:

Temp             | 64 degrees C      | ok
Temp             | -16 degrees C     | ok
Temp             | 40 degrees C      | ok
Temp             | 40 degrees C      | ok
Ambient Temp     | 15 degrees C      | ok
CMOS Battery     | 0x00              | ok

Why would freeipmi not report the values for these sensors but ipmitool would?

Here is the output of ipmi-sensors -vv --sensors="1":

Record ID: 1
Record Type: Full Sensor Record (1h)
ID String: Temp
Sensor Type: Temperature (1h)
Sensor Number: 1
IPMB Slave Address: 10h
Sensor Owner ID: 20h
Sensor Owner LUN: 0h
Channel Number: 0h
Entity ID: processor (3)
Entity Instance: 1
Entity Instance Type: Physical Entity
Event/Reading Type Code: 1h
B: -128
M: 1
R Exponent: 0
B Exponent: 0
Linearization: linear (0h)
Analog Data Format: unsigned (0h)
Tolerance: 2.000000 C
Resolution: 1.000000 C
Lower Critical Threshold: N/A
Upper Critical Threshold: 90.000000 C
Lower Non-Critical Threshold: N/A
Upper Non-Critical Threshold: 85.000000 C
Lower Non-Recoverable Threshold: N/A
Upper Non-Recoverable Threshold: N/A
Sensor Min. Reading: -128.000000 C
Sensor Max. Reading: 127.000000 C
Normal Min.: 11.000000 C
Normal Max.: 69.000000 C
Nominal Reading: 50.000000 C
Accuracy: 1.940000%
Sensor Direction: Unspecified
Positive Hysteresis: -127.000000 C
Negative Hysteresis: -127.000000 C
Assertion Event Enabled: All Event Messages Disabled
Deassertion Event Enabled: All Event Messages Disabled
Sensor Reading: N/A
Sensor Event: N/A