Re: [Freeipmi-users] Dell PowerEdge 2970 temperature sensors

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] Dell PowerEdge 2970 temperature sensors
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 10:35:44 -0700

Hi Mike,

On Thu, 2011-07-14 at 08:52 -0700, Mike Hlavac wrote:
> In implementing some monitoring at our datacenter, I noticed that most of the
> thermal sensors do not report for our Dell PowerEdge 2970 systems.  Here's
> the output of ipmi-sensors (v1.0.5):
>

> ID  | Name             | Type                     | Reading    | Units | Event
> 1   | Temp             | Temperature              | N/A        | C     | N/A
> 2   | Temp             | Temperature              | N/A        | C     | N/A
> 3   | Temp             | Temperature              | N/A        | C     | N/A
> 4   | Temp             | Temperature              | N/A        | C     | N/A
> 5   | Ambient Temp     | Temperature              | 15.00      | C     | 'OK'
> 6   | CMOS Battery     | Battery                  | N/A        | N/A   | 'OK'

> On the same system, here is the output of ipmitool sdr list:
>
> Temp             | 64 degrees C      | ok
> Temp             | -16 degrees C     | ok
> Temp             | 40 degrees C      | ok
> Temp             | 40 degrees C      | ok
> Ambient Temp     | 15 degrees C      | ok
> CMOS Battery     | 0x00              | ok
>
> Why would freeipmi not report the values for these sensors but ipmitool would?

We happen to have this motherboard around, so I know the answer (you can
see the detailed error message if you run w/ --debug).  Those first 4
temperature sensors are actually not available.  It can be determined by
a particular bit in the sensor reading packet response.

I bet ipmitool is outputting a temperature based on whatever data
happens to be returned or is sitting in memory while ignoring the bit,
which is why you get a -16 degrees on one reading.  This is what appears
on my motherboard:

Temp             | -70 degrees C     | ok
Temp             | -67 degrees C     | ok
Temp             | 40 degrees C      | ok
Temp             | 40 degrees C      | ok

The ipmitool 'sensor list' command appears to properly detect things and
output n/a when it should.

# ipmitool -I free sensor list
Temp             | na         | degrees C  | na    | na        | na        | na
       | 85.000    | 90.000    | na
Temp             | na         | degrees C  | na    | na        | na        | na
       | 85.000    | 90.000    | na
Temp             | na         | degrees C  | na    | na        | na        | na
       | na        | na        | na
Temp             | na         | degrees C  | na    | na        | na        | na
       | na        | na        | na
Ambient Temp     | 15.000     | degrees C  | ok    | na        | 3.000     |
8.000     | 42.000    | 47.000    | na

Hope that clears things up.

Al