Re: [Freeipmi-users] Unable to connect with IPMI on Supermicro X9DRFR

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] Unable to connect with IPMI on Supermicro X9DRFR
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 10:14:11 -0700

Hi Simon,

On Wed, 2012-10-31 at 03:59 -0700, Simon Kuhn wrote:
> Al,
>
> Thanks for the pointers. We're using the latest publicly available IPMI
> firmware for this motherboard.
>
> The changes in the release branch, along with both workaround flags, seems to
> have done the trick. ipmiconsole, ipmi-sel, ipmipower, ipmi-sensors,
> ipmi-chassis all appear to work correctly in limited testing.

Great.

> bmc-info only returns partial info (nothing after the GUID line), with the
> error:
>
>       ipmi_cmd_get_system_info_parameters_system_firmware_version_first_set:
> privilege level insufficient
>
> Running the command locally doesn't present that error. I'm not sure if this
> is indicative of a larger problem or not.

That is a bug that was also seen/reported on another Supermicro
motherboard.  The IPMI specification indicates privilege level "user" is
sufficient to read this data, but the Supermicro motherboard requires a
higher one, which is invalid.  Authenticating with a higher privilege
(-l operator or -l admin) should do the trick temporarily.

> From your description of the issue, it sounds like you're confident
> that the root cause lies with Supermicro's IPMI implementation. I'll
> pursue them to fix the issue on their side as well.

Yes, I'm quite confident.  I know others have reported it to them too,
but more bug reports can only help you and other user's cause.

Al