[Freeipmi-users] sensor not found with lib ipmimonitoring

From: yiannis georgiou
Subject: [Freeipmi-users] sensor not found with lib ipmimonitoring
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 16:41:26 +0200

Hello,

I have observed a strange behaviour when using ipmimonitoring library from a C program to collect the value of particular sensor The problem was observed on a cluster of homogeneous nodes and with freeipmi version 1.2.1. Even if ipmi-sensors command returns correctly the record id the function "ipmi_monitoring_sensor_readings_by_record_id"
returns "sensor not found"

The strange thing is that the function works correctly on most of the nodes and the problem arrives only on some nodes: Here are some output from our cluster. In the results the executable ./test_lib_ipmi makes use of the function "ipmi_monitoring_sensor_readings_by_record_id"

so this is a node where the function works fine
--------------------
address@hidden ~]# ipmi-sensors -r 81
ID | Name         | Type         | Reading    | Units | Event
81 | Blade Consum | Power Supply | 78.00      | W     | 'OK'

address@hidden ~]# ./test_lib_ipmi 1 81
sensor=81
The sensor value is in watt: 76
------------------------

and this is a node where it doesn't:

-------------------------
address@hidden ~]# ipmi-sensors -r 81
ID | Name         | Type         | Reading    | Units | Event
81 | Blade Consum | Power Supply | 72.00      | W     | 'OK'

address@hidden ~]# ./test_lib_ipmi 1 81
sensor=81
error: ipmi_monitoring_sensor_readings_by_record_id: sensor not found

Do you have any ideas why we get this behaviour? Could this be a freeipmi configuration problem (related with the defaults of ipmimonitoring library) or a hardware issue ?
Let me know if you want more information to localize the problem

Thanks a lot for your help
Best Regards
Yiannis