Re: [ft-devel] Fwd: Issue 977845 in chromium: pdf_font_fuzzer: Integer-o

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Fwd: Issue 977845 in chromium: pdf_font_fuzzer: Integer-overflow in compute_glyph_metrics
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 10:22:50 -0400

On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 7:32 PM Nikolaus Waxweiler <address@hidden> wrote:

> Undefined does not mean scary.

Actually yes. Have you read e.g.
http://blog.llvm.org/2011/05/what-every-c-programmer-should-know_14.html?

Whether with -wrapv or with the unsigned macros, we simply disable some compiler optimizations, perhaps some good optimizations too.

Why? Is it because we got scared? There is absolutely no evidence of real bugs in FreeType. It is reasonable to disable optimizations with  -wrapv, if scared, but macros are too rigid. Some compilers recognize /* fall through */  comment to suppress particular warnings. I wish we could just add a comment to silence these warnings after adjudication.