Re: Releases with Gitlab

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Releases with Gitlab
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 21:05:30 +0000 (UTC)

> I have been thinking about this for a while, but it does make some
> sense.  Anurag’s post reminds me and leads me to another question:
> why don’t we move the release process to Gitlab?

Basically, I don't object, especially to do the mechanical things.
However, ...

> Not only will it make stuff easier, it will also allow for binaries
> to built at least for the test programs, along with .lib files for
> dynamic or static linking.  Thoughts? It can integrate with the
> existing meson and cmake build systems.  Free desktop should have
> runners, but if not Gitlab main site will always work.  Gitlab will
> do everything from building to packaging to tarballing.  No need for
> sourceforge manual uploads anymore.

... doing a new release is more than simply saying `make dist`: I
carefully compare a new tarball with the one of the last release to
check all changes.  In most cases, I find something not documented in
the `CHANGES` file, or other minor things that should be fixed.

    Werner